Backyard Gardening for Food and Fun!
What’s so great about backyard gardening?
Well, if you’re doing it already, you know. But for those who may be thinking about starting a backyard garden, consider the following:
It’s a great source of exercise
Did you know that an hour of gardening burns roughly the same amount of calories as walking at a moderate pace for an hour? It’s true, and the bonus is that at the end of that hour you have something to show for your efforts!
It provides a connection with nature
Many of us spend our lives ensconced in a cocoon of modern technology. Nothing wrong with technology, but being able to commune with nature on a regular basis adds some balance to our lives.
It can be a source of healthy, tasty, nutritious food
Have you ever taken a bite from a vine-ripe, tasty tomato that you just picked, still warm from the summer sun?
Have you ever plucked a perfect peach from your own tree, and savored the flavor with the juice dribbling off your chin?
If so, then you know what I’m talkin’ bout! If not, start planning that garden! Because for the most part, food that you grow yourself will be FAR superior to what’s available in the supermarket.
It can be just plain fun!
Watching a tiny seed sprout and grow into a magnificent plant is an absolute delight – one that I never tire of. It’s almost like witnessing a miracle.
Yes, I know, it’s all about genetic codes and chemical reactions, but it seems miraculous. And it’s fun to watch and lend a guiding hand to the process.
There are many more great reasons to be a backyard gardener, and we’ll explore them all throughout this website.
But if you happen not to have a backyard, and are feeling a bit left out -- don’t worry. You can be a ‘backyard’ gardener too. Even if you live smack in the middle of a big bad city, as long as you have access to a balcony, a rooftop, a sunny windowsill, or even a bit of extra space on a bookshelf or counter top, you can join in on the fun.
And those of you with really BIG backyards may want to consider supersizing your backyard garden into a hobby farm. It can be lots of work, but also lots of fun. And you might even make a bit of cash from your efforts.
In this website, we’ll explore all of the possibilities and provide great, detailed how-to information.
- Tell The World About Your Garden!
- Share your gardening experience with the world. Stake out your own virtual garden plot on the World Wide Web.
- Backyard Gardening Blog
- If you're interested in anything pertaining to gardening, you'll want to keep up-to-date with all of the additions and changes to backyard-gardening-fun.com. Subscribe here.
- Tips for Starting a Garden, How to Start a Garden, Starting a Vegetable Garden
- Interested in starting a garden? Glad to hear it! Starting a vegetable garden requires some planning and effort, but the rewards are substantial – both tangible and intangible. The most obvious reward
- Gardening Tips, Gardening Advice, DIY Tips for Gardening
- General gardening tips. Tips on gardening that every gardener will find useful, and that apply to growing just about any type of plant.
- Planting Seeds, Starting Seeds, How to Start Seeds
- Planting seeds: It’s the way every garden begins. Whether you’re sowing seeds inside or growing seeds outside, seed starting is how your garden gets going. Even if you buy plants someone else seeded!
- How to Grow Tomatoes, Growing Tomatoes, Growing Tomato Plants
- Learn how to grow tomatoes, and you’ll have yet another reason to look forward to spring and summer. In fact, if you enjoy growing tomatoes, you can actually grow them anytime of the year.
- Growing Blueberries, How to Grow Blueberries, Growing Blueberry Bushes
- Interested in growing blueberries? There are lots of great reasons for learning how to grow blueberries in your home garden. Given the right conditions, blueberry bushes are easy to grow.
- Growing Strawberries, How to Grow Strawberries, Growing Strawberry Plants
- Want some tips for growing strawberries at home? If you’re a strawberry lover, you’ll find that the best strawberries you’ve ever eaten will be strawberries you’ve grown yourself.
- Greenhouse Gardening, Backyard Greenhouses, Hobby Greenhouse
- Ever considered greenhouse gardening? Growing plants in a backyard greenhouse can expand your gardening horizons far beyond the limits of your geographical bounds.
- Build Your Own Greenhouse, How to Build a Greenhouse, DIY Greenhouse
- Think it would be tough to build your own greenhouse? Not so much! If you’re just moderately handy at using simple tools, a DIY greenhouse project can be a great way to start greenhouse gardening.
- Greenhouse Designs, Types of Greenhouses
- There are many greenhouse designs suitable for a backyard greenhouse. All of these different types of greenhouses have unique advantages and disadvantages. If you want a greenhouse of your own…
- Home Hydroponics: A Fun Way to Grow Top Quality Produce
- Growing plants using home hydroponics systems is becoming more and more popular as a side branch of backyard gardening.
- Build a Greenhouse, Building a Greenhouse, Greenhouse Plans
- If you've ever wanted to build a greenhouse and take up greenhouse gardening, here's a great guide...
- Backyard Beekeeping, Urban Beekeeping, Raising Bees
- Backyard beekeeping can be a great companion hobby to backyard gardening. You don’t need a honey bee farm for raising bees. Suburban or urban beekeeping is possible for almost everyone, regardless…
- Contact Us
- Contact Us
- Affiliate and Advertising Disclosure
- Affiliate and Advertising Disclosure
- About Me
- A bit about the owner and author of Backyard-Gardening-Fun.com